This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

OpenCL threads on Mali T628

Hello Guys peterharris I am using a Mali T628 GPU on the Odroid XU3 board with Exynos 5422 chip. I have a couple of questions regarding OpenCL on the Mali GPU:

1. Can we get information of active threads or work groups per shader core for Mali-T6xx similar to active warps or blocks per SM in Nvidia using the occupancy tool?

2. Can we get the assembly code (or intermediate representation) for an OpenCL code running on Mali-T6xx similar to PTX of Nvidia?

I understand you cannot tell me about how each of the instructions in OpenCL threads actually get mapped and executed on the functional units inside Tripipe, but if could have some assembly code, that might be useful to predict the performance of OpenCL threads on this GPU. Thanks!

Parents
  • Hi alprakas,

1. DS-5 Streamline does not show you per shader core information. As what happens on what cores are completely transparent to the application running, we do not see any value for the developers to see per shader core statistics

2. The Instruction Set Architecture (ISA) for the GPU's are strictly proprietary and confidential and we currently have no plans to release this ISA information publicly

Regarding predicting performance of OpenCL, we are continually improving our tools to help assist in this in a way that makes sense to the developers. We have added OpenCL support to MGD with the GPUverify tool, as well as introducing a new CL timeline view into DS-5 Streamline. We have also produced material on our website that explains some optimisation techniques that help considerably with OpenCL on embedded mobile devices.

If you have any specific questions regarding optimisation advice, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards,

Michael McGeagh

• Hi alprakas,

1. DS-5 Streamline does not show you per shader core information. As what happens on what cores are completely transparent to the application running, we do not see any value for the developers to see per shader core statistics

2. The Instruction Set Architecture (ISA) for the GPU's are strictly proprietary and confidential and we currently have no plans to release this ISA information publicly

Regarding predicting performance of OpenCL, we are continually improving our tools to help assist in this in a way that makes sense to the developers. We have added OpenCL support to MGD with the GPUverify tool, as well as introducing a new CL timeline view into DS-5 Streamline. We have also produced material on our website that explains some optimisation techniques that help considerably with OpenCL on embedded mobile devices.

If you have any specific questions regarding optimisation advice, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards,

Michael McGeagh

Children