This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Mali offline compiler doesn't seem to handle #include

I can't think of any complex game codebase I worked on that has shaders all in one file.  They all need #include support.  When I try to compile our GL shaders (really Vulkan), I get the following failures.  Can I use this offline compiler on real .vert and .frag files?  I'm trying to figure out why Mali driver puts out VK_DEVICE_LOST on our terrain shaders, and thought seeing the shader analysis might help.

malioc -c Mali-G76 --vulkan --vertex DebugMesh.vert

ERROR: 0X0000:  SPIR-V require version 310 or higher. <- fixed below

ERROR: 0:4: X0000: '#include' : required extension not requested: GL_GOOGLE_include_directive

ERROR: 0:4: X0000: '#include' : must be followed by a header name 

ERROR: 0ssing entry point: X0000: Each stage requires one entry point <- printing problem

After putting #version 310 es at the top of the file.  We don't typically do this, since we need to compile the shaders using spriv-opt for many different versions.  There also doesn't seem to be a compile option for this.

ERROR: 0:4: X0000: '#include' : required extension not requested: GL_GOOGLE_include_directive

ERROR: 0:4: X0000: '#include' : must be followed by a header name 

ERROR: 0ssing entry point: X0000: Each stage requires one entry point.  <- how to specify this ?

Here are the reported extensions, but include support isn't in there.

Vulkan SPIR-V Extensions

========================

SPV_EXT_descriptor_indexing

SPV_EXT_fragment_invocation_density

SPV_EXT_physical_storage_buffer

SPV_EXT_shader_viewport_index_layer

SPV_KHR_16bit_storage

SPV_KHR_8bit_storage

SPV_KHR_device_group

SPV_KHR_float_controls

SPV_KHR_multiview

SPV_KHR_physical_storage_buffer

SPV_KHR_shader_ballot

SPV_KHR_shader_draw_parameters

SPV_KHR_storage_buffer_storage_class

SPV_KHR_subgroup_vote

SPV_KHR_variable_pointers

SPV_KHR_vulkan_memory_model

Parents
  • Hi Alec,

Thanks for the feedback. 

The 0X* errors are directly reported from the Khronos glslangValidator application, which we use for converting GLSL into SPIR-V.

The extension support needed for include directives is part of glslangValidator, which is why we don't report it directly, as it's not a SPIR-V extension that our compiler would see. I'll see what is needed to get this working (suspect it might be looking in the current working directory, not the source directory, so we might need to add a way to specify and forward include paths to the child process). 

We could probably automatically inject the #version specifier if it's missing, and add a warning that we did so. As Pavel mentioned we just concatenate N input files, so you could just create a single utility file containing the version and include preamble you need, and specify this first on the command line.

ERROR: 0ssing entry point: X0000: Each stage requires one entry point <- printing problem

Thanks, looks like we're not hiding some of the original log from the glslangValidator, so we're getting to processes writing out to the console.  Will raise a bug for this one. 

ERROR: 0ssing entry point: X0000: Each stage requires one entry point.  <- how to specify this ?

Hmm, shaders with a default "main" should work. Do the non-spirv samples we ship in the samples/vulkan/ directory work for you? If it's possible can you share the problem shader (drop me an email, as I assume you can't share here)?

Shouldn't the compiler tell me how many varyings a shader uses if that's critical to the 180MB limit on Mali driver?  I don't see anything related to that in the output.

At the moment we don't emit this. Agree it would be useful. Will raise an enhancement with the team.

Cheers, 
    Pete

• Hi Alec,

Thanks for the feedback. 

The 0X* errors are directly reported from the Khronos glslangValidator application, which we use for converting GLSL into SPIR-V.

The extension support needed for include directives is part of glslangValidator, which is why we don't report it directly, as it's not a SPIR-V extension that our compiler would see. I'll see what is needed to get this working (suspect it might be looking in the current working directory, not the source directory, so we might need to add a way to specify and forward include paths to the child process). 

We could probably automatically inject the #version specifier if it's missing, and add a warning that we did so. As Pavel mentioned we just concatenate N input files, so you could just create a single utility file containing the version and include preamble you need, and specify this first on the command line.

Thanks, looks like we're not hiding some of the original log from the glslangValidator, so we're getting to processes writing out to the console.  Will raise a bug for this one. 

Hmm, shaders with a default "main" should work. Do the non-spirv samples we ship in the samples/vulkan/ directory work for you? If it's possible can you share the problem shader (drop me an email, as I assume you can't share here)?

Shouldn't the compiler tell me how many varyings a shader uses if that's critical to the 180MB limit on Mali driver?  I don't see anything related to that in the output.

At the moment we don't emit this. Agree it would be useful. Will raise an enhancement with the team.

Cheers, 
    Pete

Children