This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Understanding Mali Perf Counters in Streamline

Hi.

I wanted to understand the description of some of the Mali-G77 Performance Counters and the metrics we can derive from it. I read the blog by Mr. Peter Harris about the Streamline counters and also the "Mali-G77 Performance Counters Reference" 

1. Mali GPU Tasks: Fragment Tasks. 

The number of Fragment didn't seem to increase when I increased my workload while the other counters increased. I wasn't able to correlate this. Any description of this will help me. Also, since this gives the pixel count, it was giving different pixel counts for 2 different apps running at the same resolution by quite a big margin, how could this happen?

2. Any suggestion on how I can use the Varying Shading Requests to derive any performance metric? Is there a way we can co-relate the counters after the Varying Unit in the Pipeline, like the Mali Core Primitives: Read Primitives counter ? 

Thanks.

Parents
  • It was giving different pixel counts for 2 different apps running at the same resolution by quite a big margin, how could this happen?

The "Fragment tasks" counter gives a measure of the total active coverage of the render passes. Any area which is not rendered due to being inactive will not be counted. Inactive = outside of the union of viewport and scissor rectangles, or dirty rectangles with eglSwapBuffersWithDamage().

Any suggestion on how I can use the Varying Shading Requests to derive any performance metric? 

Don't. Use the other two (sum the 16 bit and 32 bit varying cycles to get the total interpolator cycles). 

We provide built-in templates for all of the recent Mali GPUs which will do this type of analysis for you:

https://developer.arm.com/documentation/101816/0703/Analyze-your-capture/Customizing-your-charts/Apply-a-chart-configuration-template

Mali-G77 is supported in Mobile Studio 2020.1.

Cheers, 
    Pete

• It was giving different pixel counts for 2 different apps running at the same resolution by quite a big margin, how could this happen?

The "Fragment tasks" counter gives a measure of the total active coverage of the render passes. Any area which is not rendered due to being inactive will not be counted. Inactive = outside of the union of viewport and scissor rectangles, or dirty rectangles with eglSwapBuffersWithDamage().

Any suggestion on how I can use the Varying Shading Requests to derive any performance metric? 

Don't. Use the other two (sum the 16 bit and 32 bit varying cycles to get the total interpolator cycles). 

We provide built-in templates for all of the recent Mali GPUs which will do this type of analysis for you:

https://developer.arm.com/documentation/101816/0703/Analyze-your-capture/Customizing-your-charts/Apply-a-chart-configuration-template

Mali-G77 is supported in Mobile Studio 2020.1.

Cheers, 
    Pete

Children