This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Mali hardware acceleration on ubuntu on Chromebook

Looking at this post

Graphics and Compute Development on Samsung Chromebook « Mali Developer Center Mali Developer Center

I have see that is possible to have Mali GPU hardware acceleration on Samsung ARM Chromebook with Ubuntu.

On the post you guide all the process to prepare an sd card to install ubuntu with mail support on chromebook, could you provide even the imagefile of the generated sd card?

Thanks

Parents
  • Hi yebyen,

Please see my response in this thread: I have few questions about guide which is Graphic and Compute development on Samsung chromebook.

Briefly,  the install script doesn't aim to provide users with a fully hardware accelerated desktop environment, this is because almost no desktop environments on linux support OpenGLES as a back-end renderer.  OpenBox which is installed during the setup process itself is NOT hardware accelerated and so performance when dragging windows around is poor as the compositing is done on the CPU.  If you are running OpenGLES content within windows, however, this WILL be hardware accelerated to render which is the goal.

Having taken a brief look, I can see that KDE now seems to have a GLES implementation of kwin (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE#Configure_KWin_to_use_OpenGL_ES) which *should* give you the high performance desktop environment you seem to want if you are able to investigate this and get it working.  This is something that I would be interested in looking into and potentially in future we could update the guide to install this by default.  I do believe that the enlightenment desktop environment does also support hardware accelerated rendering using OpenGLES but I believe this is very much under active development. The main goal of the Chromebook developer guide is to quickly and easily create an environment on the chromebook where developers can run and test their GLES applications on linux running on Mali hardware.

As for the issues your originally experienced, the build script doesn't set up wifi in its current form and it is stated on the guide page under requirements: USB-Ethernet adapter to enable network communications.  Adding wifi support from first boot is something we would like to add, but we haven't got around to it yet.

With regards to issues with X starting, I can only assume that early in the process you installed, whether as a dependency or not, mesa libs that did conflict with the mali binaries installed, I'm glad you appear to have fixed this issue though.

Hope this helps,

Rich

• Hi yebyen,

Please see my response in this thread: I have few questions about guide which is Graphic and Compute development on Samsung chromebook.

Briefly,  the install script doesn't aim to provide users with a fully hardware accelerated desktop environment, this is because almost no desktop environments on linux support OpenGLES as a back-end renderer.  OpenBox which is installed during the setup process itself is NOT hardware accelerated and so performance when dragging windows around is poor as the compositing is done on the CPU.  If you are running OpenGLES content within windows, however, this WILL be hardware accelerated to render which is the goal.

Having taken a brief look, I can see that KDE now seems to have a GLES implementation of kwin (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE#Configure_KWin_to_use_OpenGL_ES) which *should* give you the high performance desktop environment you seem to want if you are able to investigate this and get it working.  This is something that I would be interested in looking into and potentially in future we could update the guide to install this by default.  I do believe that the enlightenment desktop environment does also support hardware accelerated rendering using OpenGLES but I believe this is very much under active development. The main goal of the Chromebook developer guide is to quickly and easily create an environment on the chromebook where developers can run and test their GLES applications on linux running on Mali hardware.

As for the issues your originally experienced, the build script doesn't set up wifi in its current form and it is stated on the guide page under requirements: USB-Ethernet adapter to enable network communications.  Adding wifi support from first boot is something we would like to add, but we haven't got around to it yet.

With regards to issues with X starting, I can only assume that early in the process you installed, whether as a dependency or not, mesa libs that did conflict with the mali binaries installed, I'm glad you appear to have fixed this issue though.

Hope this helps,

Rich

Children