This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Mali hardware acceleration on ubuntu on Chromebook

Looking at this post

Graphics and Compute Development on Samsung Chromebook « Mali Developer Center Mali Developer Center

I have see that is possible to have Mali GPU hardware acceleration on Samsung ARM Chromebook with Ubuntu.

On the post you guide all the process to prepare an sd card to install ubuntu with mail support on chromebook, could you provide even the imagefile of the generated sd card?

Thanks

Parents
  • I found this thread: Bug #1085596 “Graphics acceleration not working in ubuntu deskto...” : Bugs : Cross distro support for Samsung Chromeboo…

Seems to be tackling a similar issue.  I followed and read down to the point where they suggested that GLX was not supported and should be disabled, like:

Section "Module"

Disable "glx"

EndSection

I generated an xorg.conf with Xorg -configure and copied it over the minimal xorg.conf in /etc/Xorg to put this section in.

This takes care of my "(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dri/armsoc_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dri/armsoc_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)", but does not seem to have fixed anything else.

Then I tried for kicks, change the driver from "armsoc" to "exynos" -- bazinga!

Suddenly es2gears and friends can spring to life with decent framerates.  Turning back on Load "glx" in the xorg.conf gives even better performance for small windows at least with glxgears, I render over 130fps in the default size glxgears.  Making this change, to read the Xorg.0.log seems to indicate that I've reverted to software rendering with (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering, and es2gears gives this output before it starts rendering to the small window at 70fps:

libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate

EGL_VERSION = 1.4 (DRI2)

vertex shader info:

fragment shader info:

info:

... maybe this has something to do with the fact that I'm running with root, but I've disabled glx for now.  Actually, now that I check, I get that error from es2_info as well as es2_gears, regardless of whether glx is enabled or disabled.  And es2_info shows I'm using mesa with software rasterizer in every case.  glmark2-es2 won't render any frames.

So, I think I'm closer, but still doing something wrong!  Any ideas?

• I found this thread: Bug #1085596 “Graphics acceleration not working in ubuntu deskto...” : Bugs : Cross distro support for Samsung Chromeboo…

Seems to be tackling a similar issue.  I followed and read down to the point where they suggested that GLX was not supported and should be disabled, like:

Section "Module"

Disable "glx"

EndSection

I generated an xorg.conf with Xorg -configure and copied it over the minimal xorg.conf in /etc/Xorg to put this section in.

This takes care of my "(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dri/armsoc_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dri/armsoc_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)", but does not seem to have fixed anything else.

Then I tried for kicks, change the driver from "armsoc" to "exynos" -- bazinga!

Suddenly es2gears and friends can spring to life with decent framerates.  Turning back on Load "glx" in the xorg.conf gives even better performance for small windows at least with glxgears, I render over 130fps in the default size glxgears.  Making this change, to read the Xorg.0.log seems to indicate that I've reverted to software rendering with (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering, and es2gears gives this output before it starts rendering to the small window at 70fps:

libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate

EGL_VERSION = 1.4 (DRI2)

vertex shader info:

fragment shader info:

info:

... maybe this has something to do with the fact that I'm running with root, but I've disabled glx for now.  Actually, now that I check, I get that error from es2_info as well as es2_gears, regardless of whether glx is enabled or disabled.  And es2_info shows I'm using mesa with software rasterizer in every case.  glmark2-es2 won't render any frames.

So, I think I'm closer, but still doing something wrong!  Any ideas?

Children
No data