This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

One master to two slave transfer (back to back) behavior for address A (slave1) and address B (slave2)

How will be behavior for the following Scenario be?

We have one AHB master and two AHB slaves connected.

Master initiates two transactions (one after another) as follows.

1. The First transaction is for address (slave 1).  [In 1st clock cycle Address phase of A, 2nd clock cycle Data phase]

2. The Second transaction is for address B (Slave 2). [2nd clock cycle address phase of B, 3rd clock cycle Data phase]

My question here is:

- Is it allowed to start the address phase of transaction B in 2nd clock cycle?

- My doubt is, as this address B is of slave-2, is pipelining allowed? or do we have to start the 2nd transaction after completion of the 1st transaction, which is in the 3rd clock cycle?

If it is possible to provide a timing diagram here, it will be really helpful.

• The answer is yes, you can start the address phase of transaction B in cycle 2.

The address and data phase completions depend on the HREADY signal driven by the data phase active slave, so in cycle 2 the transfer B address phase will be extended if slave A decides to add wait states, subsequently delaying the start of data phase B.

Slaves have 2 HREADY ports, the output (usually named HREADYOUT) for that slave to signal wait states when it is the data phase active slave. All the HREADYOUT signals from slaves on this bus are MUXed together to select the active HREADY signal to pass on to the master requesting the transfer. At the same time this HREADY signal coming out from the MUX is passed back to ALL slaves as their HREADY input, so they can see when another slave's wait states might delay the start of this slave's data phase transfer.

With regard to a timing diagram, try figure 3-5 in any of the AHB specs (AHB, AHB-lite or AHB5) which shows "Multiple transfers", with the 2nd transfer B seeing wait states returned during its data phase, so this delays the completion of the transfer C address phase, and subsequently the start of transfer C data phase.

• @Colin Campbell

Thank you for your answer.
    I have one more question as follows.

How will be the behavior of HSELx signal?

In the 1st clock cycle, HSEL1 will be high, But how it will behave in the 2nd clock cycle?
    Address phase of Slave2 and the data phase of Slave1 are going on in this 2nd clock cycle.

So in the data phase, HSELx should be high for that particular slave or not?

Please clarify my doubt.