Could I use Cortex-A for embedded applications?

I need a little digital io for my project since cortex-m is not economical for me I need to know can i use Cortex-a to do some embedded jobs?

Parents
  • Because with equal price you could have more processing power than a Cortex-M.

The only benefits of cortex-m is having industrial interfaces like can and etc.

No, I think the main benefits for using a Cortex-M is that is easier to evaluate and you get a shorter time-to-market. But that's really depends on your specific Application. If you need the processing-power you are fine with a Cortex-A MPU.

I had worked on external Rams with Arm9 and LPC2478 it was not that hard.

It's a major difference between design a SDRAM-Interface for a "slow" LPC2478 and design a DDR3-Interface for a modern Cortex-Axx. But I don't say you can't do it, only a thing to consider.

Because i didn't work with Cortex-A yet,I dont know if i can programming Cortex-A  like Cortex-M with C language?

Could i rewrite my X86 assembly programs for Arm?

That depends on your toolchain. And what you mean with "like a Cortex-M". Running a OS or not?

I think rewriting of X86 assemby-code will require major changes.

• Because with equal price you could have more processing power than a Cortex-M.

The only benefits of cortex-m is having industrial interfaces like can and etc.

No, I think the main benefits for using a Cortex-M is that is easier to evaluate and you get a shorter time-to-market. But that's really depends on your specific Application. If you need the processing-power you are fine with a Cortex-A MPU.

I had worked on external Rams with Arm9 and LPC2478 it was not that hard.

It's a major difference between design a SDRAM-Interface for a "slow" LPC2478 and design a DDR3-Interface for a modern Cortex-Axx. But I don't say you can't do it, only a thing to consider.

Because i didn't work with Cortex-A yet,I dont know if i can programming Cortex-A  like Cortex-M with C language?

Could i rewrite my X86 assembly programs for Arm?

That depends on your toolchain. And what you mean with "like a Cortex-M". Running a OS or not?

I think rewriting of X86 assemby-code will require major changes.

Children
No data