Microcontrollers for IoT application

HI all,

Generally what all the parameters deciding the selection of a microcontroller for IoT application?

I know that most of the IoT solutions are designed around ARM controllers like ARM Cortex-M series.

ARM Cortex-M series microcontrollers are optimised for low power applications and have lots of standy features and it will save power Say ARM Coretex-M0+ can run for 15 years from cell battery! So low power might be one criteria.

I would like to know other micrcontrollers used in the IoT applications.

Thanks and Regards,

Deepu

Parents
  • The 'I'-part means that there should be a way to connect to internet. That implies either suitable HW or at least suitable HW interface for an external communication device. I also think that amount of RAM becomes an issue - the system with protocol stacks and block buffers won't fit in 2kB RAM, and if bigger boards are used, the price tends to go up. There is no point in adding $300 board in $20 coffee brewer.

• The 'I'-part means that there should be a way to connect to internet. That implies either suitable HW or at least suitable HW interface for an external communication device. I also think that amount of RAM becomes an issue - the system with protocol stacks and block buffers won't fit in 2kB RAM, and if bigger boards are used, the price tends to go up. There is no point in adding $300 board in $20 coffee brewer.

Children