A popular IDE for Arm-based MCUs from various vendors to use for C++ embedded programming

Hi all,

As a C++ programmer I would like to start using it in the embedded world. For that I wish to be familiar with a popular IDE on which I can write projects for ARM-based MCUs, from different vendors, be it of ST or others, and get help when running across a problem. 

I've some titles in mind such as: IAR and Keil. What are your ideas, please?

Thanks. 

Parents
  • I'm not sure about the IDEs to select one between them

IDE preference is very much a personal thing - so just try a few to see what you like.

At the end of the day, they all do the same thing - and in pretty similar ways.

As you're already a C++ programmer, you must have some ideas about what you like & dislike in an IDE.

An advantage of using the chipmaker's own IDE is that you have a one-stop-shop for everything - the chipmaker knows all about their chips and all about their IDE, and all about their supporting HALs, SDKs, Middlewares, DevKits, Examples, Debuggers, etc, et.

With a 3rd-party IDE, you will always run into the problem of "is this a Keil question or is this an ST question", etc...

The big thing that's different between "embedded" IDEs and "desktop" IDEs is getting the programming and debugging set up and working,  so this is a key thing that chipmakers will focus on getting right in their "own" IDE.

Again, most (the vast majority) of chipmakers' own IDEs are Eclipse-based - so they do have a lot in common.

Eclipse is probably the most widespread "free" IDE

I would say that Keil is probably the most widespread commercial IDE. As Keil is an ARM company, they should be really well placed for the ARM-specific support. 

Of the commercial IDEs, Keil does seem to be the most widely supported by chipmakers

• I'm not sure about the IDEs to select one between them

IDE preference is very much a personal thing - so just try a few to see what you like.

At the end of the day, they all do the same thing - and in pretty similar ways.

As you're already a C++ programmer, you must have some ideas about what you like & dislike in an IDE.

An advantage of using the chipmaker's own IDE is that you have a one-stop-shop for everything - the chipmaker knows all about their chips and all about their IDE, and all about their supporting HALs, SDKs, Middlewares, DevKits, Examples, Debuggers, etc, et.

With a 3rd-party IDE, you will always run into the problem of "is this a Keil question or is this an ST question", etc...

The big thing that's different between "embedded" IDEs and "desktop" IDEs is getting the programming and debugging set up and working,  so this is a key thing that chipmakers will focus on getting right in their "own" IDE.

Again, most (the vast majority) of chipmakers' own IDEs are Eclipse-based - so they do have a lot in common.

Eclipse is probably the most widespread "free" IDE

I would say that Keil is probably the most widespread commercial IDE. As Keil is an ARM company, they should be really well placed for the ARM-specific support. 

Of the commercial IDEs, Keil does seem to be the most widely supported by chipmakers

Children