A popular IDE for Arm-based MCUs from various vendors to use for C++ embedded programming

Hi all,

As a C++ programmer I would like to start using it in the embedded world. For that I wish to be familiar with a popular IDE on which I can write projects for ARM-based MCUs, from different vendors, be it of ST or others, and get help when running across a problem. 

I've some titles in mind such as: IAR and Keil. What are your ideas, please?

Thanks. 

Parents
  • Both of those are paid-for commercial products - do you have budget for that?
    Some popular "free" (as in beer) IDEs are

I have budget, yes. So if we remove the budget restriction, which do you consider more popular and better for me, please?

One thing about the reason why I asked this question and my experience with some other IDE:
    My current arm board is STM32F10C8T6 (Blue Pill) and have also ordered a STM32F411 Nucleo-64 one abroad, which I will receive about a month from now. So I started working on the blue pill using STM32Cube IDE to blink the its LED as my first embedded programming project. The IDE looks modern and is said to be popular and very good especially for ST MCUs. (I.e., products of the same family!)
    The problem with that IDE which made me look for another IDE is that it seems to be very proprietary. While it sees my board and I can upgrade the firmware using it, I neither can debug nor run my project on the board, and will face the error shown in the screenshot below when debugging/running. Although I tested "many" solutions to work it out but no success. It's only possible to build the project. :(

For blinking the LED I had to open and flash the built binary file onto the board using STM32 ST-LINK Utility. 
    That's why I'm going to select another IDE and hopefully won't see that problem there. 

PS: I wish the thread weren't moved to the Keil forums since it's more general than Keil and is more suitable for the Embedded section! :|

• Both of those are paid-for commercial products - do you have budget for that?
    Some popular "free" (as in beer) IDEs are

I have budget, yes. So if we remove the budget restriction, which do you consider more popular and better for me, please?

One thing about the reason why I asked this question and my experience with some other IDE:
    My current arm board is STM32F10C8T6 (Blue Pill) and have also ordered a STM32F411 Nucleo-64 one abroad, which I will receive about a month from now. So I started working on the blue pill using STM32Cube IDE to blink the its LED as my first embedded programming project. The IDE looks modern and is said to be popular and very good especially for ST MCUs. (I.e., products of the same family!)
    The problem with that IDE which made me look for another IDE is that it seems to be very proprietary. While it sees my board and I can upgrade the firmware using it, I neither can debug nor run my project on the board, and will face the error shown in the screenshot below when debugging/running. Although I tested "many" solutions to work it out but no success. It's only possible to build the project. :(

For blinking the LED I had to open and flash the built binary file onto the board using STM32 ST-LINK Utility. 
    That's why I'm going to select another IDE and hopefully won't see that problem there. 

PS: I wish the thread weren't moved to the Keil forums since it's more general than Keil and is more suitable for the Embedded section! :|

Children