A popular IDE for Arm-based MCUs from various vendors to use for C++ embedded programming

Hi all,

As a C++ programmer I would like to start using it in the embedded world. For that I wish to be familiar with a popular IDE on which I can write projects for ARM-based MCUs, from different vendors, be it of ST or others, and get help when running across a problem. 

I've some titles in mind such as: IAR and Keil. What are your ideas, please?

Thanks. 

Parents
  • Hello Ary,

being the product manager of Keil MDK, I'm of course a bit biased, but I think you will like MDK because of the Arm Compiler 6 that we're using under the hood. It supports most of the latest features of C++ and it C++ libraries are based on the LLVM libc++ libs (refer to Arm Compiler). Also, we have excellent support in MDK for STMicroelectronics devices and a well-defined interface to their own configuration tool, STM32CubeMX.

Be aware that the deeply embedded pace is based on C though. You will find lots of C code, but not so much of C++, so you will need to make the best out of both worlds.

Kind regards,

Christopher

• Hello Ary,

being the product manager of Keil MDK, I'm of course a bit biased, but I think you will like MDK because of the Arm Compiler 6 that we're using under the hood. It supports most of the latest features of C++ and it C++ libraries are based on the LLVM libc++ libs (refer to Arm Compiler). Also, we have excellent support in MDK for STMicroelectronics devices and a well-defined interface to their own configuration tool, STM32CubeMX.

Be aware that the deeply embedded pace is based on C though. You will find lots of C code, but not so much of C++, so you will need to make the best out of both worlds.

Kind regards,

Christopher

Children