IP Camera interface via STM32

Hi all,

I am looking for developing an IP camera based system based on STMicroelectronics STM32. The way it is supposed to work is:

STM32F4 will have few IP cameras connected to it. It may have a web server running so it can be accessed from outside.

We will have a mobile app running on a mobile device / tablet. It should be able to connect to a particular IP camera through the web server (or any other mechanism).

End result expected is as a user if I run the app on my device, I should be able to connect to a particular site (say my home) and get the live feed of a camera.

I do not need to do any image processing.

Now the questions:

1. Is STM32F4 suitable for this application?

2. What other components I am missing in the overall system?

3. Using a storage media with STM, such as a SD card, I can record the video and then send it when requested. Does video recording need knowledge of the protocol used by the camera (say H.264 compression method etc.)?

4. Any pointers where I can start studying this?

Thanks a lot,

Gopal

Parents
  • Thanks jensbauer

It is very helpful (as always) and detailed reply.

I do not want to do any video processing, neither show the video on my system. This is a kind of intrusion alarm system where, a sensor connected to the system triggers and then the system wants to send either of the following data to a remote server.

1) Video recording for a few seconds post event and may be a few seconds pre-event. So this implies that the video should be recorded continuously and may be overwritten say every 10 seconds or so.

2) Or the system may be configured to send few images to the server. Again pre-event and post-event.

The cameras would be bought by the end user of the system, not a design time decision. So the best would be IP cameras available off the shelf. It could be multiple IP cameras installed for a single system. All the IP cameras would be connected to the system via LAN. The system will identify the right camera to trigger by its IP address (Is that possible? I don't know yet).

So you explanation of having more RAM and a SD card to store uncompressed video looks quite suitable. I think if DMA is setup then ethernet to SD card data can be directly transferred. (Again, I have not done this yet, so unsure).

I have seen some cameras offering on-board storage with a SD card. So you may just pull the images from the camera.

Also some cameras offer H.264 like encoding as well.

• Thanks jensbauer

It is very helpful (as always) and detailed reply.

I do not want to do any video processing, neither show the video on my system. This is a kind of intrusion alarm system where, a sensor connected to the system triggers and then the system wants to send either of the following data to a remote server.

1) Video recording for a few seconds post event and may be a few seconds pre-event. So this implies that the video should be recorded continuously and may be overwritten say every 10 seconds or so.

2) Or the system may be configured to send few images to the server. Again pre-event and post-event.

The cameras would be bought by the end user of the system, not a design time decision. So the best would be IP cameras available off the shelf. It could be multiple IP cameras installed for a single system. All the IP cameras would be connected to the system via LAN. The system will identify the right camera to trigger by its IP address (Is that possible? I don't know yet).

So you explanation of having more RAM and a SD card to store uncompressed video looks quite suitable. I think if DMA is setup then ethernet to SD card data can be directly transferred. (Again, I have not done this yet, so unsure).

I have seen some cameras offering on-board storage with a SD card. So you may just pull the images from the camera.

Also some cameras offer H.264 like encoding as well.

Children