This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Warning: It blocks containing 32-bit Thumb instructions are deprecated in ARMv8 with GCC 4.9

Dear colleagues.

I am compiling the Intel TBB in an effort to optimize my code to the Cortex-M53, however, because I was still forced to use GCC 4.9 I'm getting some warning messages about the use of  32bit Thumb Instrucions in IT blocks:

Warning: It blocks containing 32-bit Thumb instructions are deprecated in ARMv8

I know it's a bug in this release and that may already be solved in GCC version 5.3 but still can not migrate this environment for a new version.

This can bring some instability to my code or can be ignored by time?

Parents
  • Hi Carlos Delfino,

let me confirm that you say GCC4.9 generates the warning even if the IT block does not contain  any 32bit Thumb Instructions.

If it is true, there seems not to be any means to stop the warning.

According to the GCC syntax, '-mno-restrict-it' would stop it.

However, '-mno-restrict-it' was not implemented but only '-mrestrict-it' was implemented.

If it is not true, you cannot use 32bit Thumb instruction in the IT block, probably causing some errors.

According to https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/ARM-Options.html , it is described "IT blocks can only contain a single 16-bit instruction from a select set of instructions. This option is on by default for ARMv8 Thumb mode".

GCC would generate the following 11 warnings for an IT block.

Warning: it blocks containing wide Thumb instructions are deprecated in ARMv8

Warning: it blocks of more than one conditional instruction are deprecated in ARMv8

Warning: it blocks of more than one conditional instruction are deprecated in ARMv8

Warning: it blocks containing 16-bit Thumb intsructions of the following class are deprecated in ARMv8: Short branches, Undefined, SVC, LDM/STM

Warning: it blocks containing 16-bit Thumb intsructions of the following class are deprecated in ARMv8: Miscellaneous 16-bit instructions

Warning: it blocks containing 16-bit Thumb intsructions of the following class are deprecated in ARMv8: Literal loads

Warning: it blocks containing 16-bit Thumb intsructions of the following class are deprecated in ARMv8: Hi-register ADD, MOV, CMP, BX, BLX using pc

Warning: it blocks containing 16-bit Thumb intsructions of the following class are deprecated in ARMv8: Short branches, Undefined, SVC, LDM/STM

(source: https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2012-08/msg00399.html )

Best regards,

Yasuhiko Koumoto.

• Hi Carlos Delfino,

let me confirm that you say GCC4.9 generates the warning even if the IT block does not contain  any 32bit Thumb Instructions.

If it is true, there seems not to be any means to stop the warning.

According to the GCC syntax, '-mno-restrict-it' would stop it.

However, '-mno-restrict-it' was not implemented but only '-mrestrict-it' was implemented.

If it is not true, you cannot use 32bit Thumb instruction in the IT block, probably causing some errors.

According to https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/ARM-Options.html , it is described "IT blocks can only contain a single 16-bit instruction from a select set of instructions. This option is on by default for ARMv8 Thumb mode".

GCC would generate the following 11 warnings for an IT block.

Warning: it blocks containing 16-bit Thumb intsructions of the following class are deprecated in ARMv8: Miscellaneous 16-bit instructions

Warning: it blocks containing 16-bit Thumb intsructions of the following class are deprecated in ARMv8: Literal loads

Warning: it blocks containing 16-bit Thumb intsructions of the following class are deprecated in ARMv8: Hi-register ADD, MOV, CMP, BX, BLX using pc

(source: https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2012-08/msg00399.html )

Best regards,

Yasuhiko Koumoto.

Children
No data