This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Process ADC data, moved by DMA, using CMSIS DSP: what's the right way?

Hi to you all,
I've a firmware running on a NXP LPCLink2 (LPC4370: 204 Mhz Cortex M4 MCU) board which basically does this:

• Fills the ADC FIFO @40msps.
  • Copies the data into memory using the built-in DMA Controller and 2 linked buffers.
  • Processes one buffer while the other is being filled.

My problem is that my code is too slow, and every now and then and overwrite occurs.

Using the DMA I'm saving the ADC data, which I get in Twos complement format (Offset binary is also available), in a uint32_t buffer and try to prepare them for the CMSIS DSP function by converting the buffer into float32_t: here's where the overwrite occurs. It's worth saying that I'm currently using Floating point Software, not hardware.

The CMSIS library also accepts fractional formats like q31_t, q15_t and so on, and since I don't strictly need floating point maths I could even use these formats if that could save me precious time.
It feels like I'm missing something important about this step, that's no surprise since this is my first project on a complex MCU, any help/hint/advise would be highly appreciated and would help me in my thesis.

I'll leave here the link for the (more datailed) question I asked in the NXP forums, just in case: LPC4370: ADCHS, GPDMA and CMSIS DSP | NXP Community .

Thanks in advance!

Parents
  • This is about the code that you posted in NXP Community.

Your code temporarily converts the negative ADC values to positive (by "manual" two's complementing) and eventually you convert back to negative by multiplying by -1. I suggest that you explore alternate, which can be more efficient, ways of converting from 12-bit signed integer to floating-point format.

A possible way of converting the ADC data from 12-bit signed integer to 32-bit floating-point format is by transforming to 32-bit two's complement code then assigning the result to a floating-point variable (simply let the compiler do the rest of the work).

If the ADC data is in (12-bit) offset binary code it can be converted to 32-bit two's complement format by simply subtracting the offset (in this case the offset is 2048)

adcBuff[i] - 2048

where adcBuff[] is an array of signed 32-bit integer (int32_t). We then let the compiler convert it into floating-point format by assigning to a floating-point variable. The complete statement would be

float32Buff[i] = adcBuff[i] - 2048;

where float32Buff[] is an array of 32-bit floating-point (float32_t) data.

If the ADC data is in 12-bit two's complement code it can be converted to 32-bit two's complement format by simply sign-filling bits 12 to 31 (replicating bit 11 into bits 12 to 31). Sign-filling can be done by (logical) shifting the 12-bit ADC data 20 bit positions to the left then performing an arithmetic shift right by 20 bit positions

(adcBuff[i] << 20) >> 20

Note that there is no test for the state of bit 11. I just can't clearly recall if I previously encountered a compiler which cancels (no corresponding code generated) opposing shifts like this. Including the assignment to a floating-point variable, the complete statement would be

float32Buff[i] = (adcBuff[i] << 20) >> 20;

If the compiler produces no code for the opposite shifts, you should devise a way to circumvent that or you can resort to alternative methods. An alternate method of converting the ADC data is to transform from 12-bit two's complement to 12-bit offset binary format. The subsequent conversion to 32-bit two's complement can be done as described above for the offset binary format. Two's complement code can be converted to offset binary format by simply complementing the leftmost bit (in this case bit 11)

adcBuff[i] ^ 0X00000800

The complete conversion statement would be

float32Buff[i] = (adcBuff[i] ^ 0X00000800) - 2048;

• This is about the code that you posted in NXP Community.

Your code temporarily converts the negative ADC values to positive (by "manual" two's complementing) and eventually you convert back to negative by multiplying by -1. I suggest that you explore alternate, which can be more efficient, ways of converting from 12-bit signed integer to floating-point format.

A possible way of converting the ADC data from 12-bit signed integer to 32-bit floating-point format is by transforming to 32-bit two's complement code then assigning the result to a floating-point variable (simply let the compiler do the rest of the work).

If the ADC data is in (12-bit) offset binary code it can be converted to 32-bit two's complement format by simply subtracting the offset (in this case the offset is 2048)

adcBuff[i] - 2048

where adcBuff[] is an array of signed 32-bit integer (int32_t). We then let the compiler convert it into floating-point format by assigning to a floating-point variable. The complete statement would be

float32Buff[i] = adcBuff[i] - 2048;

where float32Buff[] is an array of 32-bit floating-point (float32_t) data.

If the ADC data is in 12-bit two's complement code it can be converted to 32-bit two's complement format by simply sign-filling bits 12 to 31 (replicating bit 11 into bits 12 to 31). Sign-filling can be done by (logical) shifting the 12-bit ADC data 20 bit positions to the left then performing an arithmetic shift right by 20 bit positions

(adcBuff[i] << 20) >> 20

Note that there is no test for the state of bit 11. I just can't clearly recall if I previously encountered a compiler which cancels (no corresponding code generated) opposing shifts like this. Including the assignment to a floating-point variable, the complete statement would be

float32Buff[i] = (adcBuff[i] << 20) >> 20;

If the compiler produces no code for the opposite shifts, you should devise a way to circumvent that or you can resort to alternative methods. An alternate method of converting the ADC data is to transform from 12-bit two's complement to 12-bit offset binary format. The subsequent conversion to 32-bit two's complement can be done as described above for the offset binary format. Two's complement code can be converted to offset binary format by simply complementing the leftmost bit (in this case bit 11)

adcBuff[i] ^ 0X00000800

The complete conversion statement would be

float32Buff[i] = (adcBuff[i] ^ 0X00000800) - 2048;

Children