This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Understanding interrupt latency and jitter in Cortex-M

Hi,

I've been trying to get a good grasp of the variables associated with interrupt handling in the Cortex-M family. I've read "A Beginner’s Guide on Interrupt Latency - and Interrupt Latency of the Arm Cortex-M processors" and "Cortex-M for Beginners", and while those were both very useful, I'm still left with a couple of questions. Especially regarding Cortex-M7, since that's what I've been using.

Specifically, my biggest question is this: In "Cortex-M for Beginners" there's a table showing the necessary number of clock cycles to context switch to an interrupt handler for all Cortex-M processors. The entry for Cortex-M7 shows "Typically 12, worst case 14", but I can't find any information on what can cause the worst-case response.

• What can cause the worst-case interrupt latency for Cortex-M7?

From what I've gathered, this can't be caused by multi-cycle instructions or anything of that sort, so I'm wondering if this is a very edge-case scenario - or if it can happen regularly. Additionally, I'm wondering if the worst-case is implementation-dependent. I've only found two references to things that affect the worst-case interrupt latency in any ARM documentation. The first is when deep sleep is engaged, which can only occur on implementations with the optional Wakeup Interrupt Controller (section 2.5.3 in the "Cortex-M7 Devices Generic User Guide"). The other is when DIS-CRITAXIRUR is set in the Auxiliary Control Register (Disables critical AXI Read-Under-Read), which according to table 3.3 the Technical Reference Manual can improve the worst-case interrupt latency.

I'm basically wondering if I set up a Cortex-M7 without changing any of these settings, what is the worst-case interrupt latency? And is it possible to support zero-jitter interrupt latency in Cortex-M7? I've seen references to this functionality in CortexM0/M0+ (which, from what I gather, depends on whether the chip manufacturer chose to include that support in their design), but I can't find any such references for Cortex-M7. My understanding is that a good implementation with TCM will achieve the same thing - is that correct?

Anyway. I'm not sure if anyone can help me answer this, but any pointers to documentation that might contain more information would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers