This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Debugger-based Firmware Test Framework

Hi all.

I'm currently working on a Python-based framework for on-target firmware testing of firmware of Cortex-M MCU systems. The approach is heavily based on the use of the debug probe to perform unit as well as system tests.

The framework I have in mind allows us to do

• firmware testing without modifications for testing (i.e., not test code compiled into the firmware)
  • firmware component testing without mocking of, e.g., peripherals
  • firmware testing with selective injection of data into the execution
  • firmware testing on the original target device
  • firmware testing using the original compiler

The tests themselves are implemented in Python and are executed on a host PC which also gives you full accesses to whatever equipment you already have available for providing external test stimuli or performing measurements.

I would like to learn what approaches you are taking for firmware testing and I would like to hear your opinion on the proposed approach. If things work out well, we plan to release the framework on GitHub later this spring.

Best,
Thomas, Software R&D, ams AG

Parents
  • Though not complete firmware, but our RTOS is tested on target using various debug probes (depending on the CPU) using the respective API. But we build test executables and use the debug probes for downloading/flashing and retrieving test results. So we need only a minimum feature.

For code coverage we rely on either Lauterbach or IAR simulator.

• Though not complete firmware, but our RTOS is tested on target using various debug probes (depending on the CPU) using the respective API. But we build test executables and use the debug probes for downloading/flashing and retrieving test results. So we need only a minimum feature.

For code coverage we rely on either Lauterbach or IAR simulator.

Children