This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Transmitting and reconstructing DSP data over internet.

I still haven't fully figured out lower level hardware stuff like MCUs and I'm bit confused if I'm going in right direction.

Goal is to read digital signals from OBD2 port, transmit it over internet and reconstruct same data on copy of same hardware, like "wireless middleman".

OBD2 is 16pin standard diagnostic port for cars, it has multiple protocols:

1. SAE J1850 PWM  (Pulse Width Modulation at 41.6 Kbps, two wire differential)
  2. SAE J1850 VPW  (Variable Pulse Width at 10.4/41.6 Kpbs, single wire)
  3. ISO 9141-2   (Asynchronous serial communication at 10.4 Kbaud)
  4. ISO 14230 KWP2000   (Asynchronous serial communication up to 10.4 Kbaud)
  5. ISO 15765 CAN   (250kbit/sec or 500kbit/sec)

from what I've found I need only CAN transreceiver for CAN bus to step down signal.

but, rest of the pins are vendor-specific, any manufacturer can implement whatever protocol they want and I want to be able to transmit data from those pins as well but there isn't much documentation available about protocols they use, if voltages are matched MCU should be able to handle reading and writing data right? I feel like I'm missing something.

what other problems should I be expecting?

I think I'm after DSP technology, what beginner-friendly development board would you recommend that also has Wi-Fi capability?