This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Best IDE to start with?

I currently have a LPC1768 and a STM32F401RE nucleo board. Ive dabbled a bit with the LPC1768 using the LPCXpresso. 

However, I realised that the skills I learnt with the LPCXpresso is not totally transferable to the STM32F401RE when I am trying to use the mbed platform.

I was just wondering, if I want to learn embedded programming as just a hobby to do things like simple I2C/ SPI interfacing with various sensors/ screens, hobby robots etc what would be the best general IDE to learn? (I've seen mbed and Keil mainly)

Ideally I really want a platform/ IDE that would be compatible with many different types of boards (eg 1 IDE for NXP, ST ARM chips etc). I would also prefer if the IDE has good support for high level functions to make programming easier, but also allow me to directly interface with the registers and even do some assembly level programming. Extra++ if the IDE comes with easy documentation and reference support along with a number of online tutorials for learnability.

I may be asking for too much but I hope something like this exists out there haha. I dont have much time left in university and I cant really afford to take many embedded programming courses due to time constraints and because the industry I am going to probably wouldnt involve too much embedded programming.