This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Just a processor?

hi,

I'm not sure if this is a stupid question or not, but I'm wondering if anyone makes a bare microprocessor with the M0(+) core?

I want to build a 'toy' computer along the lines of the various 8-bit breadboard computer projects around, but I want to try and use 'modern' components but have discrete RAM, ROM, I/O etc.

Does anyone actually make such a device?

thanks

-Mike 

Parents
  • Does anyone actually make such a device?

Probably not, there is little utility in such a device in the current market some 40 years in the future. The economics of ICs are that you make 100's of millions of them.

Many parts allow for an external bus, and you could presumably interface whatever you want externally, and ignore the peripherals, etc on-board. It will however be rather slow.

If you really want to relive the past, build a 6502, Z80 or 68K board, eBay has a wealth of DIP components from yester-year. You could find yourself 4/8Mb EPROMs if you look. Not sure anyone will fab you ROMs at this point, there are OTP EPROMs without quartz windows. An EPROM programmer might pose a problem with older parts, especially the 21V ones.

• Does anyone actually make such a device?

Probably not, there is little utility in such a device in the current market some 40 years in the future. The economics of ICs are that you make 100's of millions of them.

Many parts allow for an external bus, and you could presumably interface whatever you want externally, and ignore the peripherals, etc on-board. It will however be rather slow.

If you really want to relive the past, build a 6502, Z80 or 68K board, eBay has a wealth of DIP components from yester-year. You could find yourself 4/8Mb EPROMs if you look. Not sure anyone will fab you ROMs at this point, there are OTP EPROMs without quartz windows. An EPROM programmer might pose a problem with older parts, especially the 21V ones.

Children
No data