This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Design Start ARM Cortex-M0

Hi,

I trying to build the peripheral around Cortex-M0 IP core thorugh AHB-lite system. Right now I have to integrate Cortex-M0 with the DDR2 SRAM (1Gb) through AHB lite.

I searched on  internet which shows interfacing only through core generator (MIG). Is there a way I can use  Xilinx core generator to interface through AHB lite system.

I am using  Atlys Xilinx Spartan 6.

I also have some  example SoC design which interface 128Mb SRAM  to Cortex-M0 though AHB lite for Nexsys 3 board . But the Board I am using  has DDR2 RAM.

Thanks

Parents
  • If you google

Cortex-M0 DesignStart FPGA

You can find lots of papers and examples from various academic pages.

Here is one of them, a step by step guide:

http://www.latech.edu/tech/liberal-arts/english/html/writing-contest/2012-2013/essays/303_misc-6_Gahagan_ChampyInstructi…

There are also additional papers:

http://www.arm.com/files/pdf/SASE2011_ImplementingTheCortexM0DesignStartProcessorInALowEndFPGA.pdf

Regarding:

a) Generated Bit file - Please refer to Xilinx ISE tutorials

b) Generated bin file  from keil - Please check if you should be using bin or hex file first (and which hex file format). This depends on the memory model you use. Then you can add fromelf command in the project option (User tab) to create additional bin/hex files output.

c) Update UCF according to board - Please refer to the examples of the FPGA board your have purchase. Unfortunately we don't have this board so can't help you on this one.

d) I also Stimulated in LSIM and verified. - That's good news. You can then modify the simulated design to toggle an LED on the board and use that as a starting point for hardware testing.

Regarding:

>3)  I  am using  AHB2MEM.v  for creating blocking memory for reading and writing.  How do I segment  it for program and data part? 

Please note that this example design does not support byte and halfword write (it support 32-bit write only).

The file AHB2MEM_v1.v seems to support byte and halfword write which would be better. Or you can use the memory model in my paper mentioned in the beginning of the discussion.

In your Keil MDK program image, you can select how much of the memory is reserved for ROM (RO) and how much is reserved for RAM (RW). You can do this in the project settings. For example, if you are going to create a 16KB RAM for both program (8KB) and data (8KB), you can set RO address from 0x0 to 0x1FFF, and RW address from 0x2000 to 0x3FFF.

>4)  My friend tried  for DDR2 interfacing  using MIG and trying to generate a interface for AHB to MIG. Is it a good idea we should try something else

First getting an LED toggling under software control first. If you can't get this step to work you are unlikely to progress further.

regards,

Joseph

• If you google

Cortex-M0 DesignStart FPGA

You can find lots of papers and examples from various academic pages.

Here is one of them, a step by step guide:

http://www.latech.edu/tech/liberal-arts/english/html/writing-contest/2012-2013/essays/303_misc-6_Gahagan_ChampyInstructi…

There are also additional papers:

http://www.arm.com/files/pdf/SASE2011_ImplementingTheCortexM0DesignStartProcessorInALowEndFPGA.pdf

Regarding:

a) Generated Bit file - Please refer to Xilinx ISE tutorials

b) Generated bin file  from keil - Please check if you should be using bin or hex file first (and which hex file format). This depends on the memory model you use. Then you can add fromelf command in the project option (User tab) to create additional bin/hex files output.

c) Update UCF according to board - Please refer to the examples of the FPGA board your have purchase. Unfortunately we don't have this board so can't help you on this one.

d) I also Stimulated in LSIM and verified. - That's good news. You can then modify the simulated design to toggle an LED on the board and use that as a starting point for hardware testing.

Regarding:

>3)  I  am using  AHB2MEM.v  for creating blocking memory for reading and writing.  How do I segment  it for program and data part? 

Please note that this example design does not support byte and halfword write (it support 32-bit write only).

The file AHB2MEM_v1.v seems to support byte and halfword write which would be better. Or you can use the memory model in my paper mentioned in the beginning of the discussion.

In your Keil MDK program image, you can select how much of the memory is reserved for ROM (RO) and how much is reserved for RAM (RW). You can do this in the project settings. For example, if you are going to create a 16KB RAM for both program (8KB) and data (8KB), you can set RO address from 0x0 to 0x1FFF, and RW address from 0x2000 to 0x3FFF.

>4)  My friend tried  for DDR2 interfacing  using MIG and trying to generate a interface for AHB to MIG. Is it a good idea we should try something else

First getting an LED toggling under software control first. If you can't get this step to work you are unlikely to progress further.

regards,

Joseph

Children