This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Use of WVALID signal in AXI

In AXI, does the rising and falling edge of the WVALID signal signify the start and end of a write burst? Can the WVALID signal go low before the write request for all the transfers in that burst are issued?

Parents
  • You'll find xREADY/xVALID signals on each channel, and they are used for hand shaking.

The receiver asserts xREADY when it is ready to receive a transfer.  The sender asserts xVALID when there is valid "stuff" (*) on the channel.  A transfer takes place when both are asserted at the same time.

A burst is made up of a number of transfers.  These could be back-to-back, by which I mean both WVALID and WREADY being asserted continuously for a number of a number of cycles.  Or, there could be gaps between each transfer, where either (or both) WVALID/WREADY are de-asserted. 

(* I say "stuff" because what is being sent/received depends on the channel.  For the W channel it's written data.)

• You'll find xREADY/xVALID signals on each channel, and they are used for hand shaking.

The receiver asserts xREADY when it is ready to receive a transfer.  The sender asserts xVALID when there is valid "stuff" (*) on the channel.  A transfer takes place when both are asserted at the same time.

A burst is made up of a number of transfers.  These could be back-to-back, by which I mean both WVALID and WREADY being asserted continuously for a number of a number of cycles.  Or, there could be gaps between each transfer, where either (or both) WVALID/WREADY are de-asserted. 

(* I say "stuff" because what is being sent/received depends on the channel.  For the W channel it's written data.)

Children