This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

A low-overhead real time counter consistent cross processor cores

I am new to ARM. 

I am using Xilinx RFSOC which in particular comprises 4 A53 cores (Armv8-Arunning Linux in SMP configuration.

I need a real-time clock with 1 us (or better) resolution that can be accessed from user-level code (running in AArch64 mode) and yield consistent readings across all cores.

I would like to be able to read the clock from application (EL0) code with minimal overhead, which implies that such reads should not be trapped by the O/S.

Preferably the counter should be readable via an atomic 64-bit read.

Browsing the various documents I found on the net, it seems that the ARM system counter provides the necessary functionality. The question is how to read it from user code. I found the following registers:

CNTCV, (supports reads via CNTReadBase)

CNTVCT, (accessible via 32-bit reads?)

CNTPCT_EL0 (probably trapped by the O/S?)

I have the following questions:

a) Does any of the above counters comply with my requirements (i.e. it is directly readable from EL0 code and provides consistent time stamps across the 4 A53 cores)? If not, is there another counter that I could use?

b) How exactly do I read the counter from user-level C code running under Linux?

Thanks,

Parents
  • It is difficult to give a direct answer. It depends on

- Linux runs in non-secure EL0 as guest app

- Linux runs in non-secure EL1 as guest OS

- Linux runs in non-secure EL0 as host app

- Linux run in non-secure EL2 as host OS.

From Armv8-A architecture perspective, it is possible to read CNTPCT_EL0 in NS EL0. But in software practice, you have to consider the Linux virtualization is supported or not. CNTPCT_EL0 access will be trapped into OS or not.

The last but not the least, it is not a good idea to read the counter in NS-EL0 to get the "real time" result even if you can access the counter from NS-EL0.
    All the factors such as Linux scheduler / cache miss / memory stall / interrupts will make you get the different test results for the same test case.

• It is difficult to give a direct answer. It depends on

- Linux runs in non-secure EL0 as guest app

- Linux runs in non-secure EL1 as guest OS

- Linux runs in non-secure EL0 as host app

- Linux run in non-secure EL2 as host OS.

From Armv8-A architecture perspective, it is possible to read CNTPCT_EL0 in NS EL0. But in software practice, you have to consider the Linux virtualization is supported or not. CNTPCT_EL0 access will be trapped into OS or not.

The last but not the least, it is not a good idea to read the counter in NS-EL0 to get the "real time" result even if you can access the counter from NS-EL0.
    All the factors such as Linux scheduler / cache miss / memory stall / interrupts will make you get the different test results for the same test case.

Children
No data