This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to do from Secure(EL3) to Non-secure Exception level transition in ARMV8-A ?

Hi all i trying do transition from EL3 to EL2 exception ,but after ERET of EL3 mode it change the mode to EL2 , but as soon as when it will execute first instruction of EL2 , then It goes to Exception ...

This is happen for every secure to non secure transition in Armv8-A .

Please Guide if you know why this happen?

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Sanjay Kumar

Parents
  • Hi.  For background reading I suggest you take a look at the "Boot: Bare Metal" guide linked to from this page:

developer.arm.com/.../learn-the-architecture

Specifically chapter 5.5, it talks about moving between Exception levels.

On to your specific question, there's a couple of things that could be going wrong.  The value in ESR_EL3 when you re-enter EL3 should tell you what.  Common problems:

• SCR_EL3.RW
      There are two things that control the Execution state (AArch32 or AArch64) of lower ELs.  There's the value you're programming into the SPSR_EL3 before the ERET, and the RW bits (SCR_EL3.RW and HCR_EL2.RW).  When entering EL2 from EL3, you need to make sure that SCR_EL3.RW is set to match what you're putting in the SPSR (i.e. they both say AArch64 or both say AArch32).

• SCR_EL3.NS
      On Armv8.0 and Armv8.2-A processors, EL2 only exists in Non-secure state.  The SCR_EL3.NS bit controls whether lower ELs are Non-secure or Secure.  So to enter EL2 you need to have configured the NS bit to be 1 (Non-secure)
    These are other common problems, but don't quite fit with the symptoms you've described. 
    • EL2 MMU registers
      The SCTLR_EL2 register controls the MMU and caches for EL2 - it does NOT have a defined reset value.  You need to make sure you've initialized it to a safe initial value before entering EL2 for the first time.  Writing 0 to it is usually enough.

• Address space
      Again assuming an 8.0 or 8.2 processor.  In Non-secure state you can only access Non-secure physical addresses.  You need to make sure that the address you enter EL2 at is a NS physical address.
  • Hi.  For background reading I suggest you take a look at the "Boot: Bare Metal" guide linked to from this page:

developer.arm.com/.../learn-the-architecture

Specifically chapter 5.5, it talks about moving between Exception levels.

On to your specific question, there's a couple of things that could be going wrong.  The value in ESR_EL3 when you re-enter EL3 should tell you what.  Common problems:

• SCR_EL3.RW
      There are two things that control the Execution state (AArch32 or AArch64) of lower ELs.  There's the value you're programming into the SPSR_EL3 before the ERET, and the RW bits (SCR_EL3.RW and HCR_EL2.RW).  When entering EL2 from EL3, you need to make sure that SCR_EL3.RW is set to match what you're putting in the SPSR (i.e. they both say AArch64 or both say AArch32).

• SCR_EL3.NS
      On Armv8.0 and Armv8.2-A processors, EL2 only exists in Non-secure state.  The SCR_EL3.NS bit controls whether lower ELs are Non-secure or Secure.  So to enter EL2 you need to have configured the NS bit to be 1 (Non-secure)
    These are other common problems, but don't quite fit with the symptoms you've described. 
    • EL2 MMU registers
      The SCTLR_EL2 register controls the MMU and caches for EL2 - it does NOT have a defined reset value.  You need to make sure you've initialized it to a safe initial value before entering EL2 for the first time.  Writing 0 to it is usually enough.

• Address space
      Again assuming an 8.0 or 8.2 processor.  In Non-secure state you can only access Non-secure physical addresses.  You need to make sure that the address you enter EL2 at is a NS physical address.
Children