This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

MMU attributes implications on memory bandwidth

Hello,

I have a multi-core system which implements an L3 cache memory and a memory controller.

In addition, i am using ARM Cortex-A72 MPcores, 2 cores per cluster, several clusters.

I am trying to write a bare-metal application which will hopefully make a maximum number of write and read requests towards the external L3 memory unit,

by running on addresses in a certain order that are not allocated in the L1 and L2 data caches, and thus forcing eviction on each write/read.

I have noticed that disabling the MMU has caused me a memory BW degradation. 

However, i am having trouble finding the "best" memory attributes that i should configure the page tables with, which will provide the maximum memory BW i am looking for.

Could somebody perhaps share with me some information about that? or, any useful reference?

Thanks!

• Disabling the MMU forces all accesses to be treated as Device nGnRnE which is the most restrictive memory type, and typically has the worst performance.  Using Normal Non-cacheable or Normal cacheable memory is likely to give the best bandwidth.