This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why Cortex-R series is real time oriented ?

Hi Forum,

Why Cortex-R series is real time oriented than other ISA(ARM/others) ?

Is there a list of all the points and comparison with ARM Cortex-A ?

Why we can not make Cortex-A to suite for real time, which brings to think of Cortex-R ?

I am trying to understand from a software developer point of view.

Thanks,

Ravinder Are

Parents
  • Hi are and probablly all,

simply, I think the important points are TCM (i.e. no cache usage) and MPU (i.e. no MMU). Caches and an MMU behaviors don't have deterministic processing time, because of their mishits.

By the way, I think if the lockdown features would be implemented for caches (especially L1 caches) and the MMU, the caches and the MMU could be usable even under the real time environment. However, regarding recent trend of the ARM architecture implementation, the lowdown feature sometimes (or always) was ignored. I would like to know the reason.

Best regards,
    Yasuhiko Koumoto.

• Hi are and probablly all,

simply, I think the important points are TCM (i.e. no cache usage) and MPU (i.e. no MMU). Caches and an MMU behaviors don't have deterministic processing time, because of their mishits.

By the way, I think if the lockdown features would be implemented for caches (especially L1 caches) and the MMU, the caches and the MMU could be usable even under the real time environment. However, regarding recent trend of the ARM architecture implementation, the lowdown feature sometimes (or always) was ignored. I would like to know the reason.

Best regards,
    Yasuhiko Koumoto.

Children
No data