This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Barrier after access to memory mapped register?

Hi,

Iam wondering if it makes sense to have a memory barrier after access to a memory mapped register. I looking at a driver, unfortunately not open source, that has a memory barrier after a read from the interrupt status register of the peripheral when processing the interrupt. I understand the use of the barrier when accessing main RAM, but does it make sense for registers?

CPU: A53 aarch64

Thanks

Parents
  • Hi Joseph,

I was happy with your answers, finally I have an idea of how things work with memory ordering on arm until I yesterday came by an this article: https://www.embedded.com/design/programming-languages-and-tools/4437925/3/Dealing-with-memory-access-ordering-in-complex-embedded-designs-

Page 3 has an example similar to the question in this thread:

-------------------- Quote start

volatile unit32 control; //write register to reset device
         volatile uint32 status; //read register to access status
         uint32 x;

control = 1; // reset device

// some code

x = status; // read status while ((x & 1) != 1)
         {
              x = status;
         }

-------------------- Quote end

according to your answers a barrier is needed after setting the control and before the "some code", since arm can call the Normal memory "some code" before the Device/SO memory of control. But since the "status" and "control" are both in Device/SO memory, their order would not be changed (Hope I understood your answers correctly).

However, The article mentioned says a barrier is still needed to ensure that the control is always called before status:

You might think all is well. At least the programmer has declared the memory-mapped peripheral registers using the volatile keyword. But presumably, the write to the control register should complete before we read the status register. Otherwise the device will not be reset properly before we access it. This code does not guarantee that.

For reasons we have seen above, the compiler may promote the LDR from the status port above the STR to the control port because load latency is longer than store. Similarly, a multi-issue out-of-order execution unit in the processor might issue them in a different order. We need some way of ensuring that they happen in the order in which they are written.

If true it mean a barrier is still needed between device memory accesses!  Does that makes sense to you?

Thanks for the help

• Hi Joseph,

I was happy with your answers, finally I have an idea of how things work with memory ordering on arm until I yesterday came by an this article: https://www.embedded.com/design/programming-languages-and-tools/4437925/3/Dealing-with-memory-access-ordering-in-complex-embedded-designs-

Page 3 has an example similar to the question in this thread:

volatile unit32 control; //write register to reset device
         volatile uint32 status; //read register to access status
         uint32 x;

control = 1; // reset device

// some code

x = status; // read status while ((x & 1) != 1)
         {
              x = status;
         }

according to your answers a barrier is needed after setting the control and before the "some code", since arm can call the Normal memory "some code" before the Device/SO memory of control. But since the "status" and "control" are both in Device/SO memory, their order would not be changed (Hope I understood your answers correctly).

However, The article mentioned says a barrier is still needed to ensure that the control is always called before status:

You might think all is well. At least the programmer has declared the memory-mapped peripheral registers using the volatile keyword. But presumably, the write to the control register should complete before we read the status register. Otherwise the device will not be reset properly before we access it. This code does not guarantee that.

For reasons we have seen above, the compiler may promote the LDR from the status port above the STR to the control port because load latency is longer than store. Similarly, a multi-issue out-of-order execution unit in the processor might issue them in a different order. We need some way of ensuring that they happen in the order in which they are written.

If true it mean a barrier is still needed between device memory accesses!  Does that makes sense to you?

Thanks for the help

Children