This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Hyper V and Slat on ARM based Windows 10 Home - Pro capable?

Arm based Windows 10 Home Samsung Galaxy Book S with Qualcomm processor.

I've been looking getting Windows 10 Pro so I can have the hyper v available to me. Upon looking up information on that I have seen that it also needs to have SLAT. I looked up how to check if it's available on my laptop and went through the process. After going through it all, I did not see any info like with Intel and AMD that lets me know slat is supported. If it's not, would going to Windows 10 Pro do nothing along the lines of hyper v? I see some posts and such through searches stating that it was shown that their laptop did not have SLAT but still worked with Hyper-V.

In Windows Features I see Virtual Machine Platform. Does this have any of the capabilities or similarities to Hyper-V?

When Hyper-V requirements are checked through CMD: "A hypervisor has been detected. Features required for Hyper-V will not be displayed. "

I'm not a wiz at this, so if my understanding of this is wrong, please let me know.

I hope I expained that well enough.

tl;dr: Is my Galaxy Book S slat capatable? Can I have hyper v with Windows 10 Pro?

Sorry tags are wonky, first post.

Parents
  • Hi TheEdward, it's our understanding that if you use WSL2 (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/wsl2-install), then the host Windows OS will be running under Hyper-V (which is why you get the "A hypervisor has been detected" message). To actually manipulate Hyper-V images yourself, you'll need to run "Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Hyper-V -All" from an Administrator Powershell prompt. You should then be able to run New-VM etc and start creating new machines (see here for an idea of what you can do). You'll need a very new version of Windows 10 (post 1909) so you may need to join the Windows Insiders program. If you're still having issues, let us know and we'll try to help.

• Hi TheEdward, it's our understanding that if you use WSL2 (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/wsl2-install), then the host Windows OS will be running under Hyper-V (which is why you get the "A hypervisor has been detected" message). To actually manipulate Hyper-V images yourself, you'll need to run "Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Hyper-V -All" from an Administrator Powershell prompt. You should then be able to run New-VM etc and start creating new machines (see here for an idea of what you can do). You'll need a very new version of Windows 10 (post 1909) so you may need to join the Windows Insiders program. If you're still having issues, let us know and we'll try to help.

Children
No data