Recommended book on ARM

HI,

i'm an ICT professional (so also with an IT background) and very much interested in embedded development (IoT solutions). Until now I mainly did embedded development (mainly ARM m3, m4 microprocessors based development boards: eg Spark Core, TI CC3200 MCU,...) using development environments based on Wiring. However I want to go a step further e.g. programming timer interrupts, using/porting existing libraries, etc. For this I need to program in embedded C (I already know some C). But between knowing (some) C and using it in embedded development i'm missing some parts. Therefore I'm looking for a good book, that can be understood by someone with an IT background, on embedded programming in C preferably for ARM m3/4 microprocessors? Who can give me some suggestions?

Thanks.

Guy

• Hi gdillen,

There are numerous articles online to start. Some of the links are as follows,

http://mbed.org/

http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Cortex%C2%AE-M3-Cortex%C2%AE-M4-Processors-Edition/dp/0124080820/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380637433&sr=8-1&keywords=joseph+yiu

The best thing is you do some fun with the low cost development boards from ST and TI.

Also the ARM masteros are here in this community!!

You may visit the FAQS and already posted questions.

Regards,

techguyz

• Hi Guy,

pravinchanm gave great pointers.

What kind of holes/missing parts do you want to learn more about?

The "Definitive Cortex-Mx" books give you a very deep explanation about the MCU, and should go over the programming model.

You have tools which can also help you by making abstraction of the very low level. You can then get something running quickly and worry about understanding these low levels later, if you want.

Personally, I started to learn about the machine before really knowing how to program it. If that method allows you to write optimised code (as you know how it's executed), it doesn't really allow you to be quickly functional...

• Hi,

Thanks for the info. I bought "The Definitive Guide to ARM Cortex M3 and M4  Processors". Indeed a great book.

Guy

• This online training material from Silicon Labs may be of interest to you. It is targeted to the ARM Cortex-M3 based Giant Gecko Board (EFM32) from Silicon Labs. Based on what you have indicated as your requirements, Level 3 of the training material includes topics on the following:

• Introduction the EFM32 API - Explains the difference between CMSIS and the EFM libraries. Also shows how to start writing code.
    • Interrupt and Energy Modes - Explains how interrupts and energy modes work. Shows how to enable and execute interrupt service routines. Also helps understand interrupt priority, tail-chaining and late arrival, all features of Cortex-M3 interrupts that help reduce interrupt latency.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sadanand Gulwadi

ARM University Program Manager, Bangalore