1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 10, 2014 6:19 PM by Lukas Snetler RSS

Build a shared library for DS-5

bobo Bit

I am trying to run the Armadillo Linear Algebra package on my Altera Cyclone V.

Armadillo: C++ linear algebra library

I get it to work with general Linux GCC and it runs on my Red Hat computer

Invoking: GCC C++ Compiler
g++ -I/usr/include -O0 -g3 -Wall -c -fmessage-length=0 -MMD -MP -MF"src/Armadillo_Test.d" -MT"src/Armadillo_Test.d" -o "src/Armadillo_Test.o" "../src/Armadillo_Test.cpp"
Finished building: ../src/Armadillo_Test.cpp

Building target: Armadillo_Test
Invoking: GCC C++ Linker
g++ -L/usr/lib64 -o "Armadillo_Test"  ./src/Armadillo_Test.o   -lm  -larmadillo  -llapack  -lblas  -larpack
Finished building target: Armadillo_Test

When I try to use the DS5 tool chain I get

Invoking: GCC C++ Compiler

arm-linux-gnueabihf-g++ -I/usr/include -O0 -g3 -Wall -c -fmessage-length=0 -MMD -MP -MF"src/Armadillo_Test.d" -MT"src/Armadillo_Test.d" -o "src/Armadillo_Test.o" "../src/Armadillo_Test.cpp"

Finished building: ../src/Armadillo_Test.cpp

Building target: Armadillo_Test

Invoking: GCC C++ Linker

arm-linux-gnueabihf-g++ -L/usr/lib64 -o "Armadillo_Test"  ./src/Armadillo_Test.o   -lm  -larmadillo  -llapack  -lblas  -larpack

/usr/lib64/libarmadillo.so: file not recognized: File format not recognized

collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

So it works with g++ but not with arm-linux-gnueabihf-g++.  How should I build the library?  I just built the default way.  cmake .   make  and make install.  Any ideas what I should do?  Can I even run this library on the Cyclone?

• Re: Build a shared library for DS-5
    Lukas Snetler Employee

Hi bobo,

Looks like the last command is failing because it is trying to link against host libraries (from /usr/lib64) which are probably not compiled for ARM architecture. If you were compiling on your target then this would not be a problem. As we are cross compiling here, things are slightly tougher.

The steps taken to build libarmidillo.so from this post look promising http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21263427/cross-compiling-armadillo-linear-algebra-library

To help link your applications the gcc compiler in DS-5 provides two differently built libc system root’s, hardfloat (hf) and softfloat, but ideally you’d want to link against the system root built for your device. To include headers you could point to DS-5/sw/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libc/usr/include/; and select the appropriate system libraries from DS-5/sw/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libc/usr/lib.

As long as you are building for an ABI that is compatible with your target filesystem ABI then your application should run (presuming the C libraries are compatible; older versions are normally compatible with newer ones).  You can specify the ABI by selecting a combination of the appropriate –mfloat-abi and –mfpu switches, but I think the default for is hardfloat for arm-linux-gnueabihf.

Hope this helps