5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2014 9:14 AM by drew.richardson RSS

Streamline with Pandaboard

jonmaiara Null

Hello, I'm trying to get Streamline in DS-5.17 working with some Pandaboards: I have an A3, an A4 and an ES B2.  I'm using kernel version 3.13.3-x10, and my base image is a Debian build from Robert C Nelson's repo http://rcn-ee.net/deb/rootfs/wheezy/debian-7.4-console-armhf-2014-02-16.tar.xz.  When I run the standard image (with CONFIG_ENABLE_DEFAULT_TRACERS not set), I get samples in Streamline, but the cache, clock and instruction traces are all zero and don't update.  When I turn on CONFIG_ENABLE_DEFAULT_TRACERS and build a new kernel, then Streamline can't connect to the gator daemon.  Am I still missing a setting in the kernel (or other config)?  I enabled everything I saw in the "Using ARM Streamline" document.  This same version of DS-5 works on a Beaglebone running Anstrom 2013.12 (kernel 3.8.13).  I'd like to get Streamline working with the A8, A9 and A15 since we have projects using all those processors.

---Jon M

• Re: Streamline with Pandaboard
    drew.richardson Employee

Jon,

When you have CONFIG_ENABLE_DEFAULT_TRACERS enabled and Streamline can't connect to the gator daemon, what error message do you get in Streamline? When you run ps aux | grep gator, do you see the gator daemon running?

jonmaiara Null

I'm running DS-5 on Windows 7, and when I try to start recording when DEFAULT_TRACERS is enabled, the Eclipse window locks up for a few seconds (maybe 3-5) with "program not responding" in the title bar. After the delay, it pops up a window that says it is unable to connect to the gator daemon.  On the Pandaboard, gatord keeps running -- I've tried it in the foreground and background.

drew.richardson Employee

So I think gatord is running, but for some reason it does not respond to the TCP connection. Can you please try running gatord with strace (strace -ttvffo strace.out ./gatord) and sharing the results? Perhaps it's getting stuck somewhere in the initialization.

jonmaiara Null

I've been trying to get my ES board to work better, so I built a new kernel with CPU_FREQ, CPUIDLE disabled and DEFAULT_TRACERS enabled.  When I tried gatord to capture an strace with this kernel, it seems to work better, but my "clock" trace says 45MHz.  Do you think that could have been the problem?  When I disable cpufreq, do I need to set the frequency someplace else?