10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2013 1:51 PM by Alban Rampon RSS

How can I create a space and/or a group?

Jacob Beningo Byte

How can I create a space?  How can I create a group?

• Re: How can I create a space and/or a group?
    Alban Rampon Employee

I like this question, but I am not sure you will like my answer...

Members cannot create a place themselves. This may change in a year or two.

At the time of this answer, only overall community managers and the Find a Partner community owner can.

Members representing their company can get their Partner space in Find a Partner

Members could also suggest new topic areas (like we have with Android, Embedded, Processors...). However, just to make sure expectations are correct, even if it is mechanically easy to create a new community, it needs to be appropriately resourced for moderation, and more importantly content... In the meantime, I would suggest piggybacking on the closest place or in the Ask a Question.

ARM has decided to launch a community with some communities which may cover a wide subject (ie. Processors).

The platform will allow us to spin off a new place without breaking links. Which subjects we spin off will be depending on where community members contribute. For instance with the Processor place, if a lot of the content talks about ARM Cortex-M processors, it would become judicious to create a Microcontroller place.

We will not forced to live with the communities we have today.

Are you looking for a space for your company?

Jacob Beningo Byte

Thanks for the reply.  I am looking to create a space for my company but also for a particular topic which is associated with my company.  What would be the best way to submit an idea for a place?

Alban Rampon Employee

For the company space, I would start a discussion in Find a Partner so the team can prioritize.

For the topic area, I would start a dedicated discussion in Community Help giving some details. Getting a new topic area before launch is unlikely to happen though I must say as we need to focus on making the existing ones successful. However, with the different elements, we can potentially add it to the list of candidates for roll out.

lorikate Employee

Hi Jacob,

May the CC team help you with creating a space for your company?  Wasn't sure if this conversation continued.

Wenjun Zhang

Jacob Beningo Byte

Lori Kate Smith Yes I hadn't gotten around to creating the discussion in Find a Partner but I would appreciate the help creating the company space. 

Also the topic space I was thinking of was education.  With the Accredited Engineer Program I thought it might be an interesting space to share information, learn about the programs, find educational/training partners, etc. 

lorikate Employee

Hi Jacob Beningo

I'll leave the topic suggestion to Alban Rampon to comment on.

On creating a place in Find a Partner, Wenjun Zhang and I would love to help you start getting set up with your company.  I'll send a private message so we can set up a time to chat further.

Alban Rampon Employee

Hello,

During the community planning, education was discussed. We had initially thought about a place called "Getting started with ARM" and it would have covered the different products. As time passed, we had more and more troubles drawing the line between what goes in "getting started..." and what goes in the products/applications. Also, some argued that everything was about learning.

That is why we ended up taking the route of merging education in the topic area (either products or applications) as opposed to having education separate.

But, the current structure can evolve!

If/when we get enough content that a topic would deserve its own place, we can look at all the content about that topic and move it to that new place. This move can take place without breaking links, so this is real a possibility without major inconvenience.

1. The first step for education could go through tags: content linked to the curriculum of the ARM Accredited Engineer (AAE) would be tagged "aae arm_accredited_engineer" with the other relevant tags. If it is not AAE-related, it should not be tagged AAE, but "education learning training" could be suitable.
            2. The second step would be to create a category like ARM Cortex-M in the Processors group, it makes filtering the information easier.
            3. The third step would be to spin off a group/space: content from the category would be moved to a new place.

ARM has some ARM Approved Training Centers. These are listed in ARM Approved Training Center Program and tagged arm_approved_training_center.

Other training partners will be tagged training and will be found under Find a Partner space, by filtering partners with "training" tag.

Today, I am not sure we have enough content to warrant the added resource needed to manage a place.

I propose I add this to the pipeline of new communities to be considered and to re-visit this in a new thread after launch. At that time, I believe including Daniel Dearing in the discussion would be good as he leads the AAE programme.

Does it sound like a satisfactory approach to you?

Brad Nemire Employee

Jacob, would creating a discussion on your topic in Embedded be a good fit?

Alban Rampon Employee

Thanks for closing the question Jacob.

Following this discussion, I have started an FAQ:Place/Space/Group Creation - FAQ

I understand that document will need more information on the place creation process. I would expect being able to share that information mid to late November 2013.

Some people internally are also interested in investigating education as a new community place. I have added their names to yours in the new community request pipeline list.